What is thetsi?
The Tourism Safety Initiative (TSI) is powered by the Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA) and is a tourism safety information portal and trade support programme. It is a private sector initiative and a vehicle through which we aim to address safety and security challenges.
The TSI information database is the strategic nodal point for collecting, analysing and disseminating information relating to crimes against the industry. We have been collecting statistical info since 2006. The TSI coordinates support for crime victims in the tourism industry including emergency services, incident reporting, trauma counselling and logistical support for travellers.
To strengthen tourist and trade confidence in destination South Africa as a safe place to visit or travel and operate within.
The TSI Aims &Mission
To create structures and mechanisms through which the sector can effectively manage, coordinate communication, provide support and
reduce the level of criminal and other related incidents against business and tourists.
The TSI aims to eliminate the following forms of crime in the industry:
- Guests committing crimes
- Violent crimes against guests outside businesses
- Crimes against staff and guests on premises
- Electronic cyber crime
- Petty crime against guests outside of business
- Employee related crime
- To provide one central platform where crime & other related incidents can be reported, and processed into relevant market information
- To coordinate emergency & other relevant support for businesses and tourists
- To guide and empower businesses in the industry to manage criminal incidents and/or other related incidents
- To raise awareness about safety & security matters amongst tourists & the tourism trade at large
- To lobby on behalf of the industry & engage with relevant stakeholders involved in crime prevention & the criminal justice system locally & internationally
The TSI coordinates support for crime victims in the tourism industry including emergency services, incident reporting, trauma counseling and logistical support for travellers.